Pages

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Together we form a perfect vessel

Reflecting on the last lecture in the Apostle's Creed catechist class:

I have long noticed how my faith grows the more I allow myself to be a part of my church community. Listening to others, whether it is their struggles or their passions, always helps me, either as inspiration or a guide. (The first time I felt this strongly were in my reaction to four casual words from someone I had not previously taken seriously. She wasn't in my social group, she wasn't an intellectual, but what she said hit me in the core, and reshaped what I chose to do. I believe the Holy Spirit spoke to me through her, inspiring her beyond anything she could have known.)

Sometimes it is experiencing the affection and friendship of the community that helps me experience God’s presence.

The lecture quotes this:
“Not only are we gathered around him, we are united in him. In this unity there is diversity of members and functions. "There is only one Spirit who, according to his own richness and the needs of the ministries, gives his different gifts for the welfare of the Church." (Lumen Gentium 7) This unity with Christ and among ourselves produces charity and breaks down barriers of ethnicities, cultures, gender. societal structures (CCC # 791)

I take this to mean : together, with all our imperfections and strengths and daily sufferings, small and large, we form a perfect vessel for God’s hidden reality. Even though we are, individually, leaky, flawed containers. 

Another aspect of the community of saints that I love is our connection to those gone before, those recognized as saints by the Church. In their lives – and so many different kinds of lives! – we can be inspired or be guided. And we have the extra blessing of our connection through prayer to their living intercession and prayer. 

So that we can be--in community--perfect.

No comments: